By Étienne Garbugli | November 11, 2017 | 0 Comment
A Short Bio.
Hey, I’m Étienne. I work at the intersection of Tech, Product Design and Marketing. I’m a two-time Startup Founder (Flagback and HireVoice), a four-time entrepreneur and a UX research expert. I love Lean, Agile, Customer Development and I specialize in B2B.
In 2014, I published the book Lean B2B: Build Products Businesses Want. The Lean B2B methodology helps thousands of entrepreneurs and innovators around the world build successful businesses; the Venturetec accelerator program uses the methodology, and the Lean B2B Course expands on the content.
My presentation 26 Time Management Hacks I Wish I’d Known at 20 was viewed by more than 28 million people around the world.
I grew up near Montreal, Canada. Studied Communications and Marketing. I created my first Website in 1998 (it was a Geocities bass tablature Website). I founded 4 businesses. I have over 12 years of experience in UX with highlights working as lead on a $40M flight reservation system at Aeroplan and defining Concordia University’s first-ever Intranet. I lived in Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore. I’m currently working/travelling around the world (view my travel map).
In 2015, I looked something like this:
13 things about me. Most of them being true.
- Everything I own fits in a (big) room.
- I learn Chinese for the pleasure of learning. It got me from Hong Kong to the Kyrgyz border (Far West China).
I plan to do a round-the-world trip someday I did a round-the-world trip in 2017. You can view my photos here.
- I actually like Powerpoint. Honest.
- I don’t have a car. I don’t plan on buying one.
- I know
an awful lot way too much about hockey. I missed the game when I was living in Asia.
- My goal in life is to make a dent in the universe.
- I’m a huge procrastinator but, I’m always on time.
- I’ve had 3 knee surgeries (same knee) in the past 5 years. Someday I’ll play hockey again.
- I created a card game. I’m very proud of the results.
- In a previous life, I played a lot of music and wrote soundtracks for movies. I was good at it.
- I love meeting new people. I’m a good networker.
- I created « Garbugli’s Law ». It even got Mike Godwin’s approval
In the Media
- In September 2012, the National Post wrote an article on my entrepreneurial experiences following my popular HireVoice post-mortem.
- In April 2013, my presentation 26 Time Management Hacks I wish I’d known at 20 received well over 1M views on SlideShare. Business Insider, Reddit and Lifehacker picked up the story bringing viewership well over 6M people.
- In May 2013, I was interviewed for the Visual Studio Talk Show (French). We exchanged ideas on user experience, agility, product design and I shared a few life stories and insights.
- In May 2013, following the success of my time management presentation, I was interviewed for the SlideShare blog.
- In December 2013, my presentation 26 Time Management Hacks I wish I’d known at 20 was voted Most Liked presentation of 2013 by SlideShare. It was included in their Zeitgeist.
- In July 2014, I was featured on Business Insider for 13 Successful Entrepreneurs Share Their Favorite Piece Of Advice.
- In January 2015, the followup to my very popular SlideShare presentation was featured on the SlideShare Blog, Business Insider and the Financial Post. The presentation, and the associated Kickstarter campaign, inspired this analysis (French).
- In May 2014, following the publication of Lean B2B: Build Products Businesses Want, I was interviewed by Andrew Warner of Mixergy. The interview turned into the Master Class: How to use lean B2B ideas.
- In August 2014, I was interviewed again for the Visual Studio Talk Show (French). We talked about the Lean Startup.
- In March 2015, I was interviewed by Riku Lindholm. We talked about Lean B2B in preparation of his upcoming book.
- In February 2016, I was interviewed by Alex Berman. We talked about how to launch new products in B2B. We did a followup interview in June 2017.
- In December 2016, In preparation for the launch of the Control Alt Deceit game, I was interviewed by the Montreal in Technology blog.
- In November 2017, 26 Time Management Hacks was re-published on Business Insider. It was then featured on Nigerian Daily News and in The Globe And Mail.